Sunday, February 22, 2009

SISTERS

I had a visit this week with my sisters (I have SIX sisters). We gathered in Salt Lake City at what we affectionately call "Hotel Thomas"--Dede's place. It was relaxed. It was fun and funny. It was emotional. It was educational. It was full of lounging and walking and talking and eating and dogs. It included tears and laughter and conversation and comfortable silence. It was wonderful.

As adults we sisters have tried to maintain a relationship apart from our spouses and children and now grandchildren. We have tried to keep a line of communication open for information, support, emotions, criticisms, praise, encouragement, moods, whims, ideas, hopes and fears. We have shared good times and bad. We have sometimes done it poorly and sometimes done it well. But we have always acknowledged the fact that there is no relationship quite like that of sisters.

I agree with a statement by Penelope Farmer, "Sisterhood is a messy, fragmentary, ambiguous thing, an indiscriminate jumble of love, hate, amity, enmity, to be teased out bit by bit."

I can't imagine life without sisters. I have SIX of the best--
Dede, Sue, Sandy, Jules, Mari and Jen. They are vibrant, complex, loving, wise, beautiful, very real women and they are MY sisters. I am so blessed.

1 comment:

Bill & Ellen Thompson said...

I love reading your blog. You have a talent for writing and I always come away feeling better about life after reading it. Thanks for your friendship and the positive comments on our blog!! Glad you get to spend time with your sisters every once in while. Sounds like you all have a great time.