Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Turtle and the Hare

Most of you know the story of the hare who challenged the turtle to a race. The hare, obviously the faster of the two, runs well ahead of the turtle. He then lies in the shade for a quick nap, waking later to discover that the turtle, who had slowly but determinedly moved ahead on the path, had finished the race ahead of him.

Someone mentioned this story today in a meeting I attended. She proceeded to compare the animals with people, running the race of life. Some are like the hare, talented and confident (perhaps even cocky) and quick to jump into the fray, but often exhausted before the race is ended. Some are more like the turtle, willing and able and determined to finish the race at their own pace. She concluded that we should be like the turtle.

I think, however, that most of us are a combination of both the turtle and the hare. At least, I think I am. Sometimes I find enthusiasm for a project or assignment and jump in with all my energy, exhausting myself and necessitating a time out for rest, short of the finish line. Then I carefully pick it up again at a more realistic (usually slower) pace, but still finish the race. Sometimes I willingly accept a challenge, knowing that I am able to accomplish the task, but also knowing I will have to take it slow and careful if I am to survive it! As I move forward, my enthusiasm and ability (and often my speed) grows and I am able to finish the project successfully.

I am also glad to have others, "turtles" and "hares" and combinations of both, in my life. I think I need both. I learn from both. I need the talented, the able-bodied, the willing, the confident, and those quietly determined. I need those who are quick and energetic, those who are slow and steady. I need others. I was not meant to run my race alone. But I was meant to run my own race, at my own speed, in my own way, to my own finish line. I learned long ago that there is no competition in the Lord's plan. He only wants us to become our best, not someone else's best. He wants us all to finish the race, following His path at our own pace.

"By perseverance the snail reached the ark." (Charles Haddon Spurgeon)

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity."
(Louis Pasteur)

"Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did." (Newt Gingrich)

So, all you turtles and hares (and horses and chickens and bears and boars, etc. )----Get out there and run your race. Do it your way. But do it all the way to the finish line!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Angie, I loved your thoughts on the 'Turtle and Hare' analagy. Thank you for sharing. I feel that we will be judged on the direction we are heading, not for how fast we are going. The Lord knows our hearts and intent, and if we are doing what we can, we will be blessed. Thanks again for your thoughts, I enjoyed reading them.