Sunday, May 3, 2009

WICKED

This week I had the opportunity to attend the theatre to see the musical production "Wicked", thanks to a Christmas gift from Ben and Heidi. The whole experience was wonderful--comfortable seats, good view, great company, fantastic performance. I won't ruin the story for those of you who have not yet had the chance to see the play. Suffice it to say, it is the story of the witches of "The Wizard of Oz". It cleverly links all the familiar characters, revealing their history and more detail into their true character. The music, of course, was the highlight for me and the sound system brought you right down to stage level (even though I was sitting on the mezzanine). The energy of the performers was incredible and the nearly three hour production moved along very quickly, entertaining to the very end. Over all, the evening was fabulous. Even the late night drive home was pleasant as I relived it all in my mind.

I've always loved live stage productions. Since I was small they have been part of my world. Mom was involved in music and theatre as a performer. That's even how she found Dad, who took care of the production and promotion side. As much as I like movies, I will always enjoy attending live productions. (Just a little note about that: during one scene in "Wicked" a prop was thrown into the air and instead of coming down as planned, it landed on top of some scenery causing a brief break in character and lots of laughter from the audience.) You never know what is going to happen. It is real every time.

A few thoughts from the musical:

"Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap..." (Elphaba)

"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you." (Glinda)

So whenever you get the chance, whether it is a small local show or a Broadway production, attend some live theatre. It's always worth your time and will entertain in a way you will find no where else. The only thing better is to be performing!

2 comments:

Ben and Heidi said...

Well said... It was a wonderful night.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Angie, I just found your comment on my blog! I'd love to be out there to the reunion, but we may have to come out a little later.

I love your comments about your stage productions. I still remember you and the cast members of Carousel in the Springville (Pioneer Day?) Parade my first summer of BYU!