Thursday, October 23, 2008

Volunteers

Saturday night I attended a Bear Lake Memorial Hospital Foundation banquet in Montpelier, Idaho. A friend had asked me to sing following the dinner, before the report and awards were given. It was a lovely affair. I brought Seth along to enjoy the food and music. We were surprised at how interesting and heart warming the evening was. It is quite amazing how many hours of volunteer work are donated each year to keep the hospital running. Thousands of dollars are raised and donated, too. I couldn't help but think of Dede's time at LDS Hospital and Sue's with the Susan B Komen Foundation. I'm sure you could tell hundreds of stories about the amazing volunteer work that goes on in those organizations.
They also recognized two women that had been long time hospital volunteers. One woman continues to serve countless hours each month and her family was there to cheer her on. The other was an older woman who died this last year and her family had set up a scholarship for students from Montpelier in the health care field. An interesting little side note: I chose to sing two Broadway pieces and the whole room erupted into smiles and applause and then tears before I was even finished. (I thought, wow, I didn't know I was that good.) It wasn't until towards the end of the evening that the hospital administrator asked if I had known the woman who died. He then proceeded to explain that she was a "Broadway Babe" and was always singing for this and that and "would have LOVED my two songs and probably would have joined in"!
So, anyway, I can't help but ponder on what our world would be like if there were not people willing to share what they have--time, money, enthusiasm, talents, love, willingness, encouragement--to help others around them. I know I'm grateful and will be more aware now of all the volunteering that goes on around me and more willing to get out there and do my share.

1 comment:

Ben and Heidi said...

Sorry we couldn't listen to you sing. You've definitely helped instill a love of music in me and my family!