Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Meaning of Living

"To find real happiness, we must seek for it in a focus outside ourselves. No one has learned the meaning of living until he has surrendered his ego to the service of his fellow man. Service to others is akin to duty --- the fulfillment of which brings true joy." Thomas S. Monson

We sustained a new bishopric in our ward today (Cokeville 2nd Ward, Cokeville, WY in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints): Bishop Bill Thompson, 1st Counselor Leon Pope, 2nd Counselor Roger Warner, with Brian Toomer as executive secretary. These men were called by God through inspiration given to our Stake President and his counselors. They accepted the call with faith that this is what God wants them to be doing right now. They will willingly donate countless hours of service to those of us in their stewardship because they "surrendered (their) ego(s) to the service of (their) fellow man" and their God. They will have to balance this new duty with their careers and family responsibilities. This is not a paid position. There is no financial compensation for service in this church. But President Monson assures "the fulfillment of (the call to serve) brings true joy."

The outgoing bishopric (Bishop Wade Fiscus, 1st Counselor Jade Hendersen, 2nd Counselor Kevin Walker, Secretary Duane Maddock) have served for over five years. Their comments in our meetings today confirm President Monson's words. All three of them indicated they experienced vast personal growth, increased faith in God and Jesus Christ, better understanding of Christ's atonement, greater love for those they have served, and gratitude for the opportunity to serve. They found joy in the fulfillment of their duty, their calling to serve.

I have learned that, while duty in the church is an essential service I freely give, there are multitudes of other opportunities to serve all around me...giving of my time, talents and resources to those in my own family...recognizing and filling a need in my neighborhood or community...sharing what I have with any that cross my path. Sometimes serving is simple--a smile, a kind word, a hand up. Sometimes service requires more thought, more tact, more sacrifice. Sometimes we will see the need and sometimes we will be asked for help.
Regardless of the circumstance, putting others' needs ahead of our own will always bring us joy in return. I know this is true.

So, as I look ahead to the new year, I want to include more giving and less self-indulgence, more service and less self-pity, more concern for others and less concern for myself. I will try to move the "focus outside (my)self" and "find real happiness." I look forward to the new year ahead.


No comments: