Sunday, April 19, 2009

ANGER

A few weeks ago, my nephew Jeff filled his blog with thoughts on anger. It's been on my mind ever since. I've noticed anger in social situations, at the gas station, on the road, at the school and the post office, and a few times in myself. I've seen it put up walls between friends, siblings, parents and children, teachers and students, coaches and teammates.

I've remembered times in my life when I let anger take over and the results--sadness, shame, ruined relationships, sometimes even horror at the magnitude of it's power. I have looked inward, searching myself for any remaining justifications or explanations to ever allow anger to determine my actions. Luckily, I don't often deal with anger in my home. We are usually easy-going and calm. I have come to recognize anger sometimes as an expression of other feelings--bitterness, grief, hurt, especially fear. Like most things, I find it easier to forgive anger in others before myself. I don't want anger in my life. As an imperfect human, though, I sometimes allow it in, however unwanted.

Others' thoughts on anger that have struck a chord with me recently:

Anger and resentment can stop you in your tracks. It needs nothing to burn but the air and the life that it swallows and smothers. It's real, though, the fury. Even when it isn't, it can change you, turn you, mold you and shape you into someone you're not. The only upside to anger is the person you become...hopefully someone who wakes up someday and realizes they're not afraid of it's journey. Someone who knows that the truth at it's best is a partially told story. That anger, like growth, comes in spurts and fits and in it's wake leaves a new chance at acceptance and the promise of calm. (The Upside of Anger)

If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow. (Chinese proverb)

Getting angry can sometimes be like leaping into a wonderfully responsive sports car, gunning the motor, taking off at high speed and then discovering the brakes are out of order. (Maggie Scarf)

Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind. (Robert G. Ingersoll)

Thanks to Jeff for bringing up the subject and leading me to some introspection. Everyone will sometimes feel anger. Learning to control anger is part of becoming our best self. I will continue to work on that.

No comments: