Sunday, September 27, 2009

Essentials to happiness...

"Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." (Joseph Addison)

I guess that explains why I'm happy!

I have lots of things to do--fun things, hard things, mundane things, easy things, new things, old things, spiritual things, entertaining things, relaxing things, stressful things, happy things, sad things, uplifting things, depressing things, anticipated things, dreaded things, necessary things, complex things, simple things, things I like to do and things I don't.

Sometimes I do housework: I wipe, polish, sweep, mop, scrub, pick up, put away, rearrange, throw out, cook, bake, wash, vacuum, dust, launder, fold, iron, hang and organize. Sometimes I do shopping: I search ads, make lists, visit stores or internet sites to buy food, clothes, shoes, furniture, motel supplies, computer ink, paper, gifts, and any number of other items. Sometimes I do educational things: I watch informative television shows, read non fiction, study books and websites, search out health information, practice new skills and help with homework. Sometimes I do spiritual things: I read my scriptures and church magazines and books, pray, ponder, listen to uplifting music, attend meetings, serve in church callings and share the gospel. Sometimes I do physical things: I walk, lift weights, run up and down my stairs, dig and shovel and mow and rake and carry and bend and twist and turn. Sometimes I do service: paint, babysit, give back rubs, call someone, volunteer, send a card, answer questions or take in a meal. Sometimes I do things just for fun: I sing, play the piano, read novels, take a nap, play games, swing with the kids and play on the tramp, check Facebook, write emails and my blog.

I don't ever remember a time in my life when I had nothing to do.

I have many things and people to love. I love my husband, my children, my mom, my sisters, my brothers, my Hopkinson relatives, my Boyer relatives, my Thompson relatives, my friends and neighbors. I love music, books, family gatherings, temple time, long hot showers, lotion on dry skin, painted toe nails, phone calls from family and friends, going to bed early, card games and puzzles. I love to eat: chocolate, cashews, fresh bread, apples, peanut butter, cheese and crackers, mashed potatoes and gravy, waffles with berries and cream, and anything prepared by someone else. I love sunny days, rainy days, snowy days, winter, summer, spring and fall. I love being alive in this beautiful world.

I don't remember a time in my life when I had nothing to love.

I have hope......for myself, my family, my community, my country, the world. I have hope that I can become all that I desire to become. I have hope that my family will stay united in love. I have hope that my community will grow and continue to provide a safe refuge. I have hope that our country can remember it's roots and turn back to God for help in troubled times.
I have hope for peace in the world and help for those in need. I have hope that good will prevail and evil will be conquered. I have hope that life goes on beyond the grave in another sphere filled with light and love.

I don't remember a time in my life that I had no hope.

My life is not perfect, but I have those "three grand essentials" and so I have happiness. I am so blessed.

1 comment:

Ben and Heidi said...

You're an amazing woman. I'm lucky to call you "Mom". Ben