Sunday, October 4, 2009

It's Conference Time!

I love general conference.

Twice a year The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints holds five sessions of what we call general conference. The two hour meetings are held on Saturday and Sunday at the beginning of April and October. While the actual conference takes place in the new conference center in Salt Lake City, Utah, members of the church from around the world participate through live satellite, internet, television and radio broadcasts. The meetings are also recorded and made available later on DVD and printed in the Church magazine, "The Ensign". The president of the church and other prophets, apostles and general leadership of the church speak and the Tabernacle Choir sings and each meeting is begun and ended with prayer. It is an opportunity for a world wide membership to see and hear their leaders, feel the Spirit and unite in a common meeting of worship.

Because we live in an area where all five sessions are available on televison (except the Prieshood session that is available in our meetinghouse via satellite), I like to be part of all the sessions on both Saturday and Sunday. I juggle my work schedule on Saturday to allow me to do something quiet and indoors during the sessions. Mariah often knits or crochets. Seth comes home off the mountain or from the job to be part of it. Those special Sunday mornings of conference are calm and relaxed with no early meetings or assignments before or after the sessions. Sometimes the kids come, with their kids, to watch with us. We eat and visit between sessions.

Through conferences I have learned to recognize the faces of our leaders. I hear their voices and get a feeling for their personalities. I am often touched by their humility, and yet cannot doubt the authority with which they speak. The Holy Ghost testifies to me of the importance of their words.

The main theme of this conference seemed to be love: God's love for us, our love for Him, the need to love each other. We were reminded of the need to ask for God's direction and follow the promptings of the Spirit. The importance of daily scripture study and prayer and family unity were emphasized. We were reminded that God's laws must be obeyed and His promises are sure. He is aware of each of us and ready to help as we seek him.

Because of conference, I feel a determination to be a better person, to try harder, to live better, to share what I have and serve those around me more often. I feel bouyed up and encouraged. I feel peace, even in our uncertain world. I feel an urgency to keep moving forward toward a closer relationship with Jesus Christ and an eventual eternity with my family that I love so much. I am filled with light and truth and hope.

I love general conference. It is another evidence that there is a God in Heaven and He loves me.

No comments: