Sunday, October 11, 2009

Be Kind.

A while back I was waiting in a doctor's office and noticed a sign posted at the front desk. It said, "Be kind. You cannot not know what battles are raging around you." I have thought back to that message many times. It is very good advice.

I spent a few days this week with my mother who is recovering from a knee replacement surgery. I thoroughly enjoyed myself in the quiet calm of her home, attending to small things that were beyond her current ability. (Surgery does take quite a toll, doesn't it.) Most of her dizziness and nausea had passed by the time I came and she was settled back in her own home. So, it was mostly a matter of being there "in case". (My sister Jen took the first long shift, dealing with the doctors and hospital and other "hard" stuff.)

Each day a physical therapist came by to teach and help Mom perform exercises that will assist her in stretching and bending and regaining strength in her knee. I was impressed with his manner. He was totally there for Mom, giving her his full attention, listening to her comments and frustrations, yet clear in his directions and persistent in his efforts. He was unfailingly gentle and helpful. He was cheerful and confident in her ability to recover completely. He was kind.

Everyone, like my mother, has battles raging. Some may have injuries or disease. Some may deal with anger or grief. Some may be afraid or lonely. Some are burdened with pain or physical limitations or addictions. Some fight fear or feelings of insecurity or depression. Battles can be short or very, very long. Battles can be big, intense and overwhelming or small, irritating and unsettling. Often the outcome of our battle is unsure, despite our best efforts. Sometimes we can sway the end result with persistence and endurance, patience and prayer. Usually, as we conquer one foe, another moves into play and a new battle begins. This is how we grow and learn and progress.

So I am reminded to be kind. You can never be faulted for that. Recognize that, though you may never know what battle is raging in another's life, kindness can soothe and help and console. A simple kind deed, however small, may sway the course of someone's personal battle, bringing some hope and peace. It costs nothing and the return in so great.

Be kind.

3 comments:

Aubrey Anne Boyer said...

A kind simple deed like bringing over La Casita?

Angie said...

Absolutely! Thanks so much.

PurpleLady said...

I totally agree! I am 3 weeks post-op for knee replacement and the kindness of my physical therapist and nurse has definitely put me firmly on the way to a complete recovery. My goal each day is to live by that motto, since I do not what troubles others have. But at the end of the day, kindness is returned.