Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Everything is Illuminated"

The other day I watched "Everything is Illuminated". I found it to be an unusual, slow-paced, somewhat bizarre, but oddly enjoyable film. It is about a young man who collects things--family things. Before his grandmother's death she gives him a photograph and the movie shows his search to understand the photo.
Toward the end of the story, one of the characters comments: "Everything is illuminated in the light of the past. It is always on the side of us....on the inside looking out. In this way, I will always be on the side of you and you on the side of me, our families and our families' families."
It brought my thoughts back to some family history work that I've done in the last few years. I spent many hours searching out the names and faces of my family--my very extensive family. I found lots of names, dates and records, but my favorite thing was photographs. Looking into the faces of these "strangers" who are my family, I found so much that was familiar. In their eyes, I saw myself--in more ways than one! The more I learned, the more I wanted to learn. The more I learned, the more I understood. The more I understood, the more I wanted to accept and embrace. The more I accepted, the more I came to love.
It is true that we are each unique; there is no one just like us. But in this big universe, we are blessed to have family--others who share physical appearance, personality traits, history and blood. They will "always be on the side of you and you on the side of (them)."
And the more we understand, accept and love each other, the happier we will all be. So I hope to learn more about my family--those who have gone before and those who are still around. I think it is true that "everything is illuminated in the light of the past".

No comments: