Sunday, November 30, 2008

Selective Memory

"I think the secret to a happy life is a selective memory. Remember what
you're most grateful for and quickly forget what you're not."
Grace by Richard Paul Evans

...Great advice from a little book I read this week...
Funny, because I've always said that I have selective memory--I only remember what I want to remember (and maybe a little less). I've come to see that I really am happier if I leave behind those things that make me stressed, worried, angry and sad. I don't mean forget like never examine and learn from it, or like ignore it if I should be doing something about it, or pretending it never happened. I mean face it, deal with it if need be, and let it go.
Sometimes it is harder than others to forget or let go. Sometimes I hang on to STUFF and let it take up my time and energy so long that I allow myself to twist it around or change it into something it wasn't at the start. I allow it to change me into someone I don't really want to be. Sometimes I compare myself to others I see as "smarter" or "prettier" or "better". Sometimes I ignore my good traits, thinking only of my mistakes and failures. Sometimes I stomp on myself for not being perfect. Sometimes I forget to be grateful for all that is right and good and happy in my life. But when I choose to accept myself for who I am and feel gratitude for who I am (strengths and weaknesses together), I am most happy.
This week I have had an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for life, for family, for friends, for freedom, for peace, for faith, for love, for hope and for a selective memory. I have a happy life. I am so blessed.

No comments: