Sunday, December 7, 2008

QUIET

"Take some time...each day to have a quiet hour,...an hour of prayerful meditation where you can tune in with God and discuss with Him problems that are too much for human understanding, too great for human strength." (Harold B. Lee)

I love quiet.
I remember when I was first married and filled all my time with noise: conversation, telephone, TV, radio, records, cassette tapes, etc. Even when I was alone in the house, I was surrounded with sound. I rarely got into the car without turning on the radio. I don't think I ever even did the dishes or weeded the garden or picked cherries without a radio tuned to a favorite station.
Then I became a mother...one, two....seven. For years I was never alone and it was never quiet. Don't get me wrong--they were busy, happy, wonderful, joyful years. I don't regret any of it! Somewhere along the way I turned off the music, the talk, the TV and discovered QUIET. Quiet became a welcome escape, a treasured commodity, a source of peace and comfort and strength. I learned to seek it out, to plan it into my day and to take advantage of each moment. I learned to listen in the quiet--to really hear my own thoughts. I learned to be still and hear promptings of the Spirit. It was in the quiet that I could best understand myself, my needs and desires, my fears and disappointments, my goals and aspirations.
And so it is today. I still love the noise--the chaos of family, the music, the laughter, the familiar voices, the sounds of nature and human life. But I will always treasure the quiet moments, however brief. It is in those quiet moments that I find renewal, understanding and peace.

"Take time to meditate...Don't get so busy that you don't have time...Take the time."
(Harold B. Lee)

2 comments:

Jason and Aubrey Boyer said...

Wow mother, you've become quite the blogger. Interesting posts. So there's only one other thing you need to start to do...add some pictures to your posts. :) See you next week.

Ben and Heidi said...

Well said... We've only got four kids, but Heidi and I DEFINITELY enjoy the rare quiet moments. We treasure the nights when the kids have gone to bed. And, although I don't necessarily like the hour drive to Bear Lake, the quiet time to ponder and think (while paying close attention to the road, no doubt) has been quite nice. There's no radio reception and my cd player doesn't work, so... the quiet is forced upon me, but I do enjoy it. Thanks for your thoughts!